Gollancz Author: - September 10th, 2011
Fantasy, News, Scott Lynch

We know how eagerly many of you are waiting for the publication of Scott Lynch’s third novel, The Republic of Thieves. We know how frustrating the delays have been. We know this because we share your eagerness and your frustrations. But as you may know Scott has had a very difficult couple of years and consequently the novel has been delayed. Several times. If you knew the circumstances for these delays I’m sure you’d understand why we have had to wait for the book. We’re now waiting for final delivery of the manuscript and are hoping to publish the book in March of 2012. The moment we have final delivery we will confirm a publication date.

No-one is more eager to see this book published than Scott or myself. The delays have been forced on us. The moment we can put those behind us we will let you know and then we can all start counting the days to publication. Locke Lamora will return.

Simon Spanton,
Deputy Publishing Director, Gollancz

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 10th, 2011 at 3:26 pm and is filed under Fantasy, News, Scott Lynch. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 Responses to “A Message from Deputy Publishing Director, Simon Spanton about The Republic of Thieves”

1. Espedair says:

It’s great to know there is still a future for what is one of the best characters of the last 25 years. Take all the time you need Mr.Lynch we know it will be worth the wait!

2. Anarkii says:

March 2012 will be great. However there’s only so many unfinished series I can keep track of. If it gets delayed any more after that, I’ll stick to the Abercombies and Sandersons of the fantasy world.

3. Marianne Piano says:

Y’know, it could be just as long between this book and the next and I wouldn’t mind – Pratchett-style, rereading them is always enjoyable and getting refreshed with the story in time for the next book is hardly an onus!

4. Elxius says:

I’ve never stopped believing in Scott Lynch and I never will. Take as long as needed.

5. Scott says:

I’m completely jaded about the release dates your company has been announcing. At this point, have some respect for your fans and just tell us the release date is TBA. When it goes to print, announce that. I’ll be the first in line to pick up a copy.

6. Simon Simon says:

I’m sorry that you feel we’re being disrespectful, but I’m afraid the various bibliographic agencies we deal with won’t accept ‘TBA’ as a release date. We’re as frustrated as you are by the delays. Moving a book’s publication date is not something we do lightly – it causes problems for us with the book trade which we’d all rather avoid.

7. Lori Myers says:

I am still waiting on Melanie Rawn to finish a series from 1995!!! Having said that, I will stand in line till all hours to get the next Lynch book. I agree with Marianne and re reading the two gems I have. I hope that Scott’s health issues are behind him, not because I want the next book that badly, but he is a sincerely nice guy! His writing is worth the wait! This is one reason I got an e reader, so I could order the book and have it as soon as it is possible. The publishers are not being disrespectful, they can only do what they can do…I am sure they are as anxious for this to be done as we are. In the meantime, try a new author people, that is how I stumbled across Scott’s books.

8. Finola says:

I’ve been reading Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” series since 1990 and the final book is due to be published 2012 so good work takes time and is worth the wait. And yes, the re-reading and re-reading and re-reading is such good fun. Take all the time needed… I also used to work for the leading bibliographic agency so I understand the demands of the industry and how re-scheduling publication dates is not done lightly, nor to annoy fans. Good luck with completion Scott.

9. Simon says:

Its great to hear that Mar 12 is the release date, however having recently searched Amazon, they are still showing 2013. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much, however could you please confirm that the release date is definitely within March next year?

10. Joe says:

Great to hear (another) release date! :)

However I’d like to echo Simon on this, I don’t dare get my hopes up, Amazon has about 5 different dates for release, earliest being October 2012.

Confirmation would be lovely and really appreciated. :) Thanks. :)

11. ChrisW says:

March isn’t going to happen guys. Scott has said he’d let us know when the book is done. He hasn’t, so it’s not. Even if he finished it today, Gollancz would not be able to make the March date. Gollancz if true to form won’t change the march date until either just before it passes or after it does.

12. [...] It’s set in the Venice-esque world of Camorr, and follows the adventures of Locke Lamora and his band of thieves, the Gentleman Bastards. I found it funny, dark and thrilling, passed it on to tons of people, enjoyed the followup Red Seas Under Red Skies, and am – along with many others – eagerly awaiting the third, The Republic of Thieves (there have been a number of delays). [...]

13. [...] It’s set in the Venice-esque world of Camorr, and follows the adventures of Locke Lamora and his band of thieves, the Gentleman Bastards. I found it funny, dark and thrilling, passed it on to tons of people, enjoyed the followup Red Seas Under Red Skies, and am – along with many others – eagerly awaiting the third, The Republic of Thieves (there have been a number of delays). [...]