Gollancz Acquire Three More Witcher Novels

Gollancz Author: - January 19th, 2015
Acquisitions, Andrzej Sapkowski, Fantasy

sword of destinyGollancz is thrilled to announce the acquisition of three more books in Andrzej Sapkowski’s hugely popular THE WITCHER series.

The first book, THE SWORD OF DESTINY, will be published in May 2015 alongside the blockbusting new computer game THE WITCHER 3: THE WILD HUNT, which won the Award for Most Anticipated Game during The Game Awards 2014. Sales for the previous two games in THE WITCHER franchise have totalled over 8 million copies worldwide.  SWORD OF DESTINY is a collection of linked short stories which fills in some of the gaps in the Witcher’s legend.

Two further books – THE SWALLOW’S TOWER and LADY OF THE LAKE – will be released in 2016 and 2017 and will conclude the main story of Geralt the Witcher. All three books will be translated by David French, whose translation of the previous two volumes in the series was widely acclaimed.

Marcus Gipps, Commissioning Editor at Gollancz, bought World English rights from Patricia Pasqualini at Agence De l’Est. He said ‘we’re thrilled to be continuing our association with Andrzej and his magnificent Witcher series. The question we get asked most – across any medium, be it twitter, email or face-to-face at conventions – is when we will be continuing Geralt’s saga. We’re delighted to finally be able to answer that question, and hope the fans are pleased that they won’t have to wait too long for the next instalment!’

Andrzej Sapkowski is an international fantasy star and the winner of many fantasy awards, including the David Gemmell Legend award.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, January 19th, 2015 at 12:04 pm and is filed under Acquisitions, Andrzej Sapkowski, Fantasy. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

23 Responses to “Gollancz Acquire Three More Witcher Novels”

1. Excellent news. What about the new(ish) book, SEASON OF STORMS?

2. […] la Gollancz vor apărea încă trei cărţi din universul The Witcher al lui Andrzej Sapkowski. În prezent sunt […]

3. Steffen Pedersen says:

Damn this is a relief… Was kinda hoping I would be able to finish all the books before the Witcher 3 came out, since I have no doubt it will contain a stupid amount of spoilers 🙁 but knew a long time ago, that it wouldn’t happen…
    Now I’m just happy to know I will be able to read the rest at some point… Preordered my copy of Sword of Destiny on Amazon already

4. […] also happen to find the original announcement from the publishers […]

5. IvethEvo says:

I can not tell you how excited I am to hear this. And I just discovered the Baptism of Fire translation today. I have been waiting for years!

6. Federico says:

I don’t get it, Gollancz is putting the translation of the saga in stand by (after 3 books) in order to translate “The Sword of Destiny”, a book that should have been published years ago because is a sort of prologue to the saga itself. I don’t relly get it…

7. Slav says:

I have read all of Sapkowski’s books in english and polish. And I don’t agree with statement that David French translations were widely acclaimed. It wasn’t praised by Andrzej Sapkowski himself. Polish original books got such more too give than Gollancz translations… Unfortunetely David French haven’t caught the beauty of language in – how you call it – Witcher Series. But to be fare, it wasn’t easy – Andrzej Sapkowski is master, he has got amazing story-telling talent, and only few can match with him.

• Nilhilion says:

I think Borys Pugacz – Muraszkiewicz would have do a fine job translating. The English localisation of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was superb, and from what I’ve seen of TW3: Wild Hunt the English version is just as good as Polish. He’s the inventor of translating “chędożyć” to “plough” which shows his proficiency with anachronisms.

• kolokolo says:

No. You need native speaker for translations. Maybe in duo with David it would work but not alone. Witcher english crew were correcting Borys many times while working on witcher games.

8. Omnimon says:

2016? 2017? Come on, you are not making a film, which, even making it does not take that much time…

9. Chris says:

Kinda disappointed that it’s a whole ‘nother year before Swallow’s Tower just to backfill Sword of Destiny, but I’ll buy both to support the continued translation and release of great literature.

10. toko says:

Is Sword of Destiny out in May just in the UK or in the US as well?

11. count of pizza says:

This is extremely significant that English is one of the last (but not least) of languages, which will be translated Witcher. Even Taiwan was faster.

12. Robb says:

Any news for an English translation of Season of Storms?

13. Carlos says:

Hello, any official date yet for The Swallow’s Tower book release?

14. Chris says:

Not to sound impatient… but any news on a release of The Swallow’s Tower?

15. Andrés says:

Hello everyone, i wanted to know if its scheduled the publication of a hardcover version of this book and “The Last Wish”.

Sorry for my english level.