An Update from Scott Lynch

Gollancz Author: - August 18th, 2016
Scott Lynch, Uncategorized

thorn of emberlainHello, everyone–

As you’ve probably noticed, retailers have been doing funny things with pre-orders of THE THORN OF EMBERLAIN, and the reason for that is because, despite all our hopes and the heroic patience of my publishers, we’re not going to make the expected September release date.

I am incredibly sorry about this, and I want it to be understood that there’s nobody to blame but me. In addition to the expected obstacles, I severely complicated my life this year by moving. The process of seeking a mortgage, securing a house, and moving across half a continent (although it was necessary, and has been mostly joyful) has eaten months of my time and made it very difficult to recover lost ground on several projects. Oh– Elizabeth Bear and I are getting married, too. Another real joy, but it’s eating spare time like you wouldn’t believe.

We are trying very hard to ensure none of this messes up my planned appearances for the rest of the year (I’ll still be at Worldcon, and in the UK in September, and at IceCon in October).

The release date information in retailer databases is going to do goofy things for a few weeks, because that’s just the way these things work, and there really isn’t anything we can do about it. Please ignore any date you see for the time being. Have a little patience, and we’ll and we’ll have another update soon.

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 18th, 2016 at 4:54 pm and is filed under Scott Lynch, Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

21 Responses to “An Update from Scott Lynch”

1. JH says:

Congratulations on your engagement!

2. Cheryl says:

Congratulations on the new home and your upcoming wedding. Hugs for you and Elizabeth. I’m very happy for you.

3. Congratulations on getting married! And I think most of us know how stressful and time consuming moving house can be.

Just ensure that the version you do release is one that you’re happy with. In you’re own time, lad. 🙂

4. Worth waiting for. Thank you sincerely for the thoughtful update 🙂

5. Clay B says:

Looking forward to it, when it is ready. Congratulations on the marriage!

6. Eric says:

I did the same thing last year, enjoy life! We will live (but can’t wait! )

7. Bart Page says:

Sorry to hear about the delay, but best wishes with the new house and wedding planning! I can certainly relate to how either of those things can absorb all of one’s time!

8. […] Scott Lynch a anunţat că Thorn of Emberlain, a patra parte a seriei The Gentleman Bastard, nu va mai fi lansată în […]

9. […] of my favorites series “The Gentleman Bastard Series” by Scott Lynch. The author posted an official statement through the Gollancz website indicating that the September 2016 release of the fourth book will not […]

10. […] an update published by Scott Lynch’s publisher Gollancz, the author informs his readers, who were eagerly awaiting the publication of The Thorn of […]

11. Hampus Eckernab says:

So I met Scott Lynch at WorldCon (he was a really nice guy) and as a thanks for my getting a book signed, I gave him a small souvenir bottle of swedish aquavit. He said he would share it with Elizabeth Bear and now they are getting married!

Must have been more potent stuff than I thought. o.O

Enormous amount of congratulations anyhow!

12. OlliByGolli says:

Love the GB books, looking forward to No. 4, thanks for the update! Heartfelt best wishes 😉

13. Shethra Jones-Hoopes says:

Scott, great good luck on everything, and I wish you both every happiness. At least now I know what’s going on with the book!
    It’s all good.

14. DWGhost says:

Pesky thing, life, constantly getting in the way of intentions good or ill. Congratulations on both your move and impending bonding ceremony of choice. You, GRRM and Pat Rothfuss have all firmly inserted works at the top of my favorites list (overall, not just genre based) and I am quite willing to wait patiently for you (and each of them and other favorite authors) to release your next book when you’re good and ready to do so and happy with what you send forth to your readers. Make it count for more by taking care of living for those elements of life that are vastly more important at any given moment in the grand scheme of things.

15. Shailendra says:

Congratulations and all the Best Wishes..
    But Hey
    Bring out the BOOK. NOW..
    Cant wait Dear Scott..
    PLEASE

16. Tyler Durden says:

Congrats on the wedding and the new house!! My wife and I bought our first house and got married in the same year (last year) so I know how that goes. It’s a curse and a blessing, so just enjoy the ride! TGBS is my favorite book series. Maybe I’ll just very slowly read through the series again and fortuitously finish it on the release date.

17. Geoff says:

Congrats on getting married! It ain’t easy …but it is so worth it. Even after the polish wears off and your see all of each others imperfections. She’s still my best friend. Good luck on the book. My sister also writes, and there are few things more sacred and reviled than deadlines; you have my deepest appreciation – and sympathies.

18. Sam I Am says:

Wow!! Thank you for posting this! You didn’t OWE us an explanation, but man does it make the wait a million times easier. I appreciate your humanness and congrats on the move and marriage.

19. chase says:

No worries, ill just order to for reals this time when it does release.

Super excited for this, and the prequel(which my pre-order still looks good on!)

20. Mr. Paul says:

Congratulations … Been happily married 38 years. Right before our honeymoon, we were both happy to hear that “Thorn” was scheduled for release later that year.

21. David Sims says:

Not a problem. I haven’t begun the Gentleman Bastards series yet because it is an incomplete series and there are plenty of good completed series and standalone fantasy novels that I haven’t read yet. Quality is more important than speed. Until Thorn of Emberlain is released, we’ve got GG Kay’s stuff, and Martin might have written something we haven’t read, and there’s Sanderson of course, and Lyndon Hardy’s “Magic By The Numbers” trilogy will be released in Kindle format on Nov 27. I’ll read Gentleman Bastards when it’s finished or when you’re back into a steady stride. Quality is the main thing. We might chafe at delay, but that’s nothing compared to the tragedy of ruining a series that started so well as yours did with rushed work.