*OPEN SUBMISSION ALERT* We’ve got some news!

Gollancz Author: - March 15th, 2017
Submissions, Writing

Hello everyone,

As you have probably noticed our deadline has, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams, whooshed by. This is despite our best efforts as rereading and considering each submission as well as writing handwritten notes to everyone in the last rounds was rather time consuming!

However, we are now down to the last stretch. The end is in sight! (or nigh depending on how you look at it)

The following titles remain on our list under consideration.

• Collusion
  • Timepump
  • The Crow Knight
  • The Sorrow Eaters
  • State of the Mind
  • The Golden Virginian
  • The Company of Birds

If your book is here, it means we are still considering whether or not to call in a full.

We’ve already started calling in full manuscripts and haven’t listed those here as we’re contacting them separately.

Anyone not on here should have received a response, and if not, then with our deepest apologies we have to assume it was either lost in the mail or were some of the few in the beginning that did not receive notes. We would kindly request that you do not email querying your manuscript if it is not on this list.

If it is, then congratulations! Thank you for being so patient. We will try and get back to everyone with either a note turning it down or a request for a full in the next month or two.

All the best,

Team Gollancz

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 at 6:35 pm and is filed under Submissions, Writing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

20 Responses to “*OPEN SUBMISSION ALERT* We’ve got some news!”

1. Loren Sandboe says:

Gollancz team, I just received my note in the mail. I wanted to extend my sincere thanks for all of your consideration and time during this massive undertaking, and for the words of encouragement that followed. Sending out personal notes really speaks to your dedication to the process, and to your commitment to all the people who sent their work to you. Those chosen should be truly thrilled to have further chance to work with you. I hope you see you again next time!

• Craig says:

Hi Loren,

Thanks for your comment. We appreciate it! And thank you for submitting and we hope you received some useful feedback. Keep on writing!

Best,

2. Mytholder says:

Is there any way to check if a given manuscript was received? I’m not in the above list, and got no postcard. (I know I may have been one of the early few that didn’t get a note, but having waited on tenterhooks for this long, I’d love to have some closure.)

3. Chris says:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the update!

I haven’t received any news as to the outcome of my submission. Should I assume my manuscript was rejected or that I will receive a request for my full manuscript soon?

Chris

4. BA says:

Hi Gollancz,

Just to clarify as the wording is slightly unclear – does this mean that there are full manuscript requests you’re about to contact, but who haven’t yet been contacted and who aren’t on that list?
    Thanks, and sorry to bother you

• Craig says:

Hi,
      Sorry for the lack of clarity.

We’ve have already contacted some people to call in full manuscripts. Those weren’t included in the list.

If a title doesn’t appear on the list and the author has not been contacted that would mean their submission was turned down.

Hope that makes more sense!

5. Mike says:

How are you calling in the fulls – by physical letter or email or phone? Also, how long will this part of the process take, ie until all those you’ve currently selected have been called in? Thanks

• Craig says:

We’re emailing if possible. The ones we called in fulls for have been contacted. The listed ones are still under consideration and may still be called in.

6. Darren says:

Thanks for the update!

Of those manuscripts that are not listed but you’re calling in the fulls for, have all of the full requests been sent out, or are there still some pending?

Cheers

7. Chris says:

Hi Gollanz team,

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated!
    I haven’t received any news on my manuscript submission, should I assume that it was rejected or that you are contacting me separately requesting my full manuscript?

Kind Regards,
    Chris

• Craig says:

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, if you’ve not been contacted and aren’t listed that would mean we turned it down.

Best,
      Craig

• Chris says:

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the clarification.
        I won’t lie, a bit disappointed that I was unsuccessful, but I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read it 🙂
        Also, sorry for commenting multiple times, when the first comment didn’t appear, I thought maybe it didn’t register so I commented again! Sorry!

Kind Regards,
        Chris

8. AB says:

Hi Gollancz – thank you very much for considering The Devil’s Divine, if it reached you. It’s just my luck I’ll never know!

9. Rebecca says:

I have to admit I was very surprised to get a card yesterday! I assumed my submission had gotten lost on the way. 🙂 That’s very thoughtful of you to send those. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Thank you for taking on such a mammoth project — I’m sure we’re all looking forward to seeing the books that come from it.

10. Ralan says:

I check every week and never saw an announcement that the direct submissions opened in March of this year. I can’t find anything about that in your archives either. Please, where and how do you let authors know when direct submission reading periods are going to be?

• Craig says:

We’ve not announced any open submissions. This was just an update about the results of last year’s. When we open again we will announce it and give everyone fair warning!

11. CGD says:

Hi Gollancz Team,

I just read your card and feedback for my submission (a month late, my fault). Though it’s a rejection, I’m delighted by your positive words and inspired to keep honing my craft. I’ve had a great few weeks and this is just making things better.

Thank you for all your time and effort and for putting a big smile on my face (with a rejection of all things).

-Chris