Stephen Baxter is coming to a bookshop near you, joined by a number of recognisable faces!
Stephen Baxter will be touring the UK at the start of September to celebrate the release of XEELEE: REDEMPTION and will be joined by another titan of science fiction, Peter F. Hamilton! Along the way, they will also be joined by authors Adrian Tchaikovsky, Justina Robson, Pat Cadigan and Ken Macleod. Follow the links below to join us in September for the ultimate Sci-Fi tour:
Tuesday 4 Sept
- 13:00, London Forbidden Planet signing with Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton
- 18:30, London Piccadilly Waterstones with Stephen Baxter, Peter F Hamilton and Adrian Tchaikovsky.
– Piccadilly event will be chaired by Hugo award-winning sci-fi writer Pat Cadigan.
Wednesday 5 Sept
- 12:00, Birmingham Waterstones signing with Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton
- 18:30, Leeds Waterstones with Stephen Baxter, Peter F. Hamilton, and Adrian Tchaikovsky.
– Leeds event will be chaired by author Justina Robson
Thursday 6 Sept
- 12:30, Newcastle Waterstones signing with Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton
- 19:00, Edinburgh Blackwell’s Bookshop with Stephen Baxter and Peter F Hamilton.
– Edinburgh event will be hosted by sci-fi author Ken Macleod
Friday 7 Sept
Michael Poole finds himself in a very strange landscape . . .
This is the centre of the Galaxy. And in a history without war with the humans, the Xeelee have had time to build an immense structure here. The Xeelee Belt has a radius ten thousand times Earth’s orbital distance. It is a light year in circumference. If it was set in the solar system it would be out in the Oort Cloud, among the comets – but circling the sun. If it was at rest it would have a surface area equivalent to about thirty billion Earths. But it is not at rest: it rotates at near lightspeed. And because of relativistic effects, distances are compressed for inhabitants of the Belt, and time drastically slowed.
The purpose of the Belt is to preserve a community of Xeelee into the very far future, when they will be able to tap dark energy, a universe-spanning antigravity field, for their own purposes. But with time the Belt has attracted populations of lesser species, here for the immense surface area, the unending energy flows. Poole, Miriam and their party, having followed the Ghosts, must explore the artefact and survive encounters with its strange inhabitants – before Poole, at last, finds the Xeelee who led the destruction of Earth…
Stephen Baxter is the pre-eminent science fiction writer of his generation. Published around the world he has also won major awards in the UK, US, Germany and Japan. Born in 1957 he has degrees from Cambridge and Southampton. He lives in Northumberland with his wife.