Gollancz is committed to an open and fair submission process. Although the vast bulk of our publishing comes through the traditional path from agents, we know that there are wonderful writers out there without that support. Accordingly we operate an open submission policy for unagented authors. Please send a covering letter, one page synopsis and a printed copy of the first fifty pages of your completed novel (see format below) to:
50 Victoria Embankment
All submissions will be considered by one of the editorial team.
A few things to note:
- If you have an agent, please submit through them in the normal manner.
- We will not accept submissions sent in by agents through this process.
- We are happy to accept previously self-published works but you must inform us of this in the covering letter.
- We will not consider works we have previously rejected.
- We accept submissions from anywhere and anyone, but they must be written in English.
- Your novel must be complete and at least 75,000 words in length.
- We only publish Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and other such weird and wonderful things. Please don’t send us your crime novel or historical epic – it will be disposed of unread.
- We do not publish non-fiction.
- We do not publish books for children.
- We are not looking for short story collections or anthologies.
- We are unable to reply to queries about submissions.
- We do not return manuscripts, even if you send us postage and an addressed envelope. Don’t send us anything you can’t afford to lose.
- The sample should be 50 single-sided, double spaced pages in standard fonts. If your chapter ends on page 48 or 52, use your common sense to find a good break point.
- Make sure you include your name, address and email!
- We aim to clear the submission pile approximately every three months, but this can fluctuate.
- Everyone who has followed the submission guidelines will get a response of some kind, as long as they have provided their physical address.